Believe me when I say, I have never been a morning person in my life. It was’t so long ago that the idea of waking up before 9am seemed like a chore. A few months ago, I would never have imagined that I’d regularly be waking up and leaving the house before 9am, and not because of work or uni commitments.

I’ve never really tried to become a morning person before now. I never shied away from blacking out my room and I’m certainly guilty of hitting the snooze button every now and then. Whenever I used to wake up earlier than I needed to, I’d happily roll back over and close my eyes for another couple of hours.

Since then, I’ve started making a conscious effort to become more of an early riser and I love it! There’s no better feeling than waking up and completing something on your to do list before it’s even 9am. You still have the whole day ahead of you!

Not everyone is going to be a morning person, and that’s fine. But if you want to become an early riser, here are a few things that have helped me.

1 .   D I T C H   T H O S E   B L A C K O U T   B L I N D S

Morning light is what tells your body it’s time to wake up. Blacking out your room tricks your body into thinking it’s still nighttime and therefore makes it more difficult to wake up. There’s nothing worse than waking up and still feeling groggy and tired, but that’s what blackout blinds are doing to you.

Since I ditched the blackout blinds in favour of letting the morning light shine in, I’ve been waking up between seven and nine and feeling a lot more refreshed in the mornings.

2 .   G E T   A N   E A R L Y   N I G H T

Late nights equal late starts. It’s inevitable. In order to wake up early, you need to be going to bed at a reasonable time. Research shows that you need 7-9 hours sleep per night to be fully refreshed, so going to bed at two in the morning and hoping to wake up at seven isn’t feasible.

I like to settle into bed no later than eleven so that I have a chance to relax and unwind before I actually go to sleep. I’ll usually take this time to read, FaceTime my boyfriend or watch a show on Netflix.

3 .   H A V E   A   M O R N I N G   R O U T I N E

They say that routine is the key to success, which may be a little over the top for this, but still relevant nonetheless. Getting into the habit of routine means that you look forward to mornings rather than dreading them. When I wake up I like to have a scroll through my phone before getting up and having a small breakfast. If I’m not in a rush to get anywhere then I’ll sit down with my laptop and work on my blog or uni assignments.

Find a routine that works for you and stick to it. After a while it will just become habit and you’ll have had a productive day before noon hits.

4 .   S E T   A N   A L A R M

If all else fails but you’re still determined to become an early riser, set an alarm. However, there’s no use setting an alarm if you’re just going to keep hitting snooze. Move your alarm clock off your nightstand. If you’re forced to get up to turn your alarm off it’ll certainly wake you up.

If you’ve been struggling with mornings, I hope you found these tips helpful.

Tish x

Share:

13 Comments

1. September 30, 2018 / 6:07 pm

I’m always terrible at mornings 😀 I need to get up at 6:40 but it’s soooo bad 😀

2. Lexi
    September 30, 2018 / 8:40 pm

Once I’m in a good routine I can get up no problem but as soon as I sleep in once I keep doing it LOL It’s so hard to get back on track!

3. October 1, 2018 / 5:21 pm

I am such a morning person! I love getting an early start so that I can finish earlier and have time for other things that I like to do.
    Reading before bed really helps me to get a better nights sleep.
    Thanks for sharing your tips!

Aimsy xoxo

• Leticia Collins
      Author
      October 2, 2018 / 6:51 am

Yes exactly! It’s so nice to finish things early and still have the whole day ahead of you

4. October 2, 2018 / 8:27 am

Thanks! I’m more of a morning person now because my parents work early so I have to take my brother to school. Still if one of them gets a day off I’m back in bed until 10

5. October 2, 2018 / 1:08 pm

I love mornings especially in these cooler months but I’m not a fan of getting up early in the morning but reading this post is really helpful. I want to be more of a morning person especially so I can see the sunrise and feel like I have more time in the day. Thank you for creating this post!

• Leticia Collins
      Author
      October 2, 2018 / 5:04 pm

I’m glad you found this post helpful! Hopefully you’ll get into it soon x

6. October 3, 2018 / 8:18 pm

I don’t think I have ever closed my curtains and that probably explains why I can’t sleep longer that 8:00 am in the morning! I wake up so early but it doesn’t mean I am sociable…This was a great post!

• Leticia Collins
      Author
      October 4, 2018 / 8:42 am

Its just nice to feel like you haven’t wasted the whole day sleeping

7. October 3, 2018 / 9:08 pm

These are some great tips. I always find if I’ve gone to bed earlier and gotten a good night’s sleep, I’ll feel more refreshed and getting up is a lot easier.

8. October 4, 2018 / 6:15 pm

This post was quit helpful.

9. venus aby
    October 5, 2018 / 7:35 pm

I want to start becoming a morning person since I find that going to the gym in the morning before my uni lectures is the best option for me! I’m a night owl, so I’ll try to take on the early nights so I can get up in the morning without hitting my snooze button so many times haha! Thanks for this post, it was really helpful :)) x

venus | https://venusaby.blogspot.com

• Leticia Collins
      Author
      October 11, 2018 / 7:05 am

That’s a great idea! I don’t have motivation to go to the gym full stop haha but I would love to. I’m glad you found it helpful x